Skip to main content

Episode 2, the actual dinner party 2!

The evening of Friday 25th June was the second dinner party, set in 1973. I had decided not to try the cocktail beforehand, so as to be a surprise (strangely, I’ve never drunk one before!)  The cocktail was a Tequila Sunrise and I know the layers are supposed to be separate, but when I poured things in, it all just mixed…pretty orange colour, but not right! I also missed the lemon out, so pleasant, but sweet. I tried it again on Saturday lunch time, and got it very pleasantly right. Turns out putting ice in on top of the grenadine slows down the tequila/orange juice etc so keeping the layers distinct. (Pre-dinner nibbles…cheese and pineapple hedgehog)

The starter was salmon mousse and melba toast, and it’s a starter that’s made from ingredients which are all in tins or packets, which is possibly all mum would have available when she first started making it in Nassau in 1967. It’s got a bit of sharpness to it from the vinegar, and tasted just as good as I remember it from our Christmas brunches. 

The main course was a Beef Stroganoff, and I was much more pleased with it this time!

I did it again in a slow cooker last Tuesday, and then again properly for the dinner; using a slow cooker was good for the dinner party version where mum/I couldn’t have just left the table for 20 or so minutes to cook. It was gorgeous, meltingly tender…although I really need to work on my portion control for rice! Modern stroganoff seems to generally have paprika in, but mum’s didn’t, and I think it was probably because it may not have been available to her when she first started cooking it in 1967/8. I was supposed to have been doing a mushroom stroganoff for my vegetarian friend, but sadly they couldn’t come…they got contact traced by the NHS app, and had to self isolate…so we FaceTimed them during the liqueurs…no reply, but that was probably safer for them!

Dessert was Black Forest cheesecake and/or brandied oranges. I didn’t have time to trial Black Forest gateau, and also realised that mum didn’t have a specific recipe…and after a friend looked at mum’s notes, I realised she might have been buying them, so I used mum’s cheesecake recipe and adapted it into a Black Forest cheesecake…it was gorgeous, and rather rich! I added melted chocolate to the cheesecake mix, as well as cherries soaked in kirsch, reduced the kirsch syrup, piped cream rosettes and topped with chocolate covered cherries. The dinner was concluded by liqueurs and After Eight mints…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First real post, honest: an explanation of the title.

 Probably I ought to explain the title of the blog? To be honest, I’m fairly certain I ought to, or risk possible arrest... In February this year (2021) my mum passed away (honestly, I’m explaining the title, not confessing something awful...) and during the grief and sorrow, of missing mum but looking after dad, and cooking in mum’s kitchen, I realised that the place I most missed mum was in that kitchen. Every where I looked was something that she had taught me to use, or a place I would sit or stand while she cooked and I watched or both of us cooked together, or her recipe books and folders of dishes that were part of her repertoire and had become part of mine. So I started to look properly through her books and folders, and pulled out one that I’d been aware of, but hadn’t fully explored: her dinner party planner. She and dad had always had people round to dinner, and been to friends’ houses, but I hadn’t seen the whole picture. Mum had kept a dinner party planner, not just occasi

Episode 1, Bahamas, part 3: the actual dinner party

 So, having made decisions, time to put them into practice. I invited 2 friends (thank you, Diane and Tina!) for this first retro dinner party, and it took me a very relaxed 2 days to make the preparations. First, the cocktail: the Moonwalk, made in honour of the moon landing, and supposedly the first thing given to the astronauts as they arrived back on earth. I purposefully didn’t try it before the dinner, as I wanted it to be a surprise for me as well as my guests…and it was gorgeous! Light, refreshing, and then a nice kick. Recipe: 1 measure of grapefruit juice (I used the bigger side of those measuring cups that come with cocktail shakers), 1 measure of Grand Marnier (well, I used Cointreau, because that was the orange liqueur that I had in the house) a couple of drops of rose water (I don’t know that I’d worry about including that again, because I couldn’t taste it) and 2 measures of sparkling wine, per person. I got 6 glasses out of the bottle, and rather happy we were… Starter:

Dinner Party 3

August 12th was dinner party 3, set in 1976. Mum and dad had come back from the Bahamas a while ago, and settled in Sheffield...and bought a freezer (which dad still has), and a Good Housekeeping freezer cookbook. In the dinner party planner, mum seemed to experiment with lots of recipes from this book, so my idea was to cook practically everything beforehand, and then on the day I would only need to cook the main course, and everything else would come out of the freezer to be warmed through or defrosted. It worked, in that I was able to go out and meet a friend for coffee, and not be agitating about time, so well done, mum! We had Cosmopolitans as a cocktail (and chicken crackling to nibble on, which I know mum wouldn't have done, but it's so nice I didn't want to just throw the skin away!) We moved onto salmon mousse and melba toast (again, but new guests, so I haven't yet repeated anything for anyone) with shaped butter. Main course was Chicken Marengo, (which is