Skip to main content

Episode 1: Bahamas 1967-1969

 A bit of context: personal, historical and gastronomical!


Dad is the son and grandson of miners in County Durham; passing the 11 plus, he went to grammar school and then to University, training as a civil engineer. Mum was born in Somerset, and left school to work in the bank. Mum and dad met when dad joined a major civil engineering firm and went to take charge of a small part of a big project in Somerset. As well as wanting to succeed in work, he wanted to meet girls, so he and a friend joined the Young Conservatives there, and went on an outing to a BBQ. Also on that outing was my mum and one of her friends...and so mum and dad started dating.


After a time they talked about getting engaged, but dad was offered the chance to work in Fiji, and so they decided that dad should take up the offer, and they would get engaged when he got home, which they did. They married in June 1960, and spent some time in West Africa as well as the UK. Mum remembered dad had a more cosmopolitan approach to food than she did when they were first married, and asked her to make spaghetti Bolognaise...he described it as spaghetti with tomato sauce. Mum went out and bought dried spaghetti, and a tube of tomato purée which she squeezed over the cooked pasta...dad dutifully ate it!


I was born in 1962, and my brother was born in 1965. In June of 1967, dad was offered a post in charge of a project in Nassau, and so off we went for 2 and a half years. It was here that mum and dad met people who became great friends of theirs, and these people had also been working abroad, in places that had been influenced by American customs and food. As part of his job, dad had to entertain, and so it was that mum and dad began to go out for cocktails, and to host dinner parties for visiting company men and wives, and for their friends and families.


Various events stand out as events of those times: in 1967, Puppet on a String won Eurovision for the UK, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club band was released, and Concord was unveiled. In 1968, Dad’s Army was aired for the first time, the Hong Kong Flu pandemic started, and Martin Luther King was assassinated. In 1969, man finally walked on the moon, Monty Python’s Flying Circus was on tv, and the halfpenny ceased to be legal tender. So much progress!


Gastronomically, it seems to be the time for more convenience food: angel delight, jelly and custard, Fray Bentos pies, and Smash. We had a freezer for the first time in Nassau, says dad, and so food could be stored more easily.


And so mum started keeping her dinner party planner, with the names of everybody who was invited, and the food that was served...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First real post, honest: an explanation of the title.

 Probably I ought to explain the title of the blog? To be honest, I’m fairly certain I ought to, or risk possible arrest... In February this year (2021) my mum passed away (honestly, I’m explaining the title, not confessing something awful...) and during the grief and sorrow, of missing mum but looking after dad, and cooking in mum’s kitchen, I realised that the place I most missed mum was in that kitchen. Every where I looked was something that she had taught me to use, or a place I would sit or stand while she cooked and I watched or both of us cooked together, or her recipe books and folders of dishes that were part of her repertoire and had become part of mine. So I started to look properly through her books and folders, and pulled out one that I’d been aware of, but hadn’t fully explored: her dinner party planner. She and dad had always had people round to dinner, and been to friends’ houses, but I hadn’t seen the whole picture. Mum had kept a dinner party planner, not just occasi

Episode 1, Bahamas, part 3: the actual dinner party

 So, having made decisions, time to put them into practice. I invited 2 friends (thank you, Diane and Tina!) for this first retro dinner party, and it took me a very relaxed 2 days to make the preparations. First, the cocktail: the Moonwalk, made in honour of the moon landing, and supposedly the first thing given to the astronauts as they arrived back on earth. I purposefully didn’t try it before the dinner, as I wanted it to be a surprise for me as well as my guests…and it was gorgeous! Light, refreshing, and then a nice kick. Recipe: 1 measure of grapefruit juice (I used the bigger side of those measuring cups that come with cocktail shakers), 1 measure of Grand Marnier (well, I used Cointreau, because that was the orange liqueur that I had in the house) a couple of drops of rose water (I don’t know that I’d worry about including that again, because I couldn’t taste it) and 2 measures of sparkling wine, per person. I got 6 glasses out of the bottle, and rather happy we were… Starter:

Dinner Party 3

August 12th was dinner party 3, set in 1976. Mum and dad had come back from the Bahamas a while ago, and settled in Sheffield...and bought a freezer (which dad still has), and a Good Housekeeping freezer cookbook. In the dinner party planner, mum seemed to experiment with lots of recipes from this book, so my idea was to cook practically everything beforehand, and then on the day I would only need to cook the main course, and everything else would come out of the freezer to be warmed through or defrosted. It worked, in that I was able to go out and meet a friend for coffee, and not be agitating about time, so well done, mum! We had Cosmopolitans as a cocktail (and chicken crackling to nibble on, which I know mum wouldn't have done, but it's so nice I didn't want to just throw the skin away!) We moved onto salmon mousse and melba toast (again, but new guests, so I haven't yet repeated anything for anyone) with shaped butter. Main course was Chicken Marengo, (which is